This Question is Answered

2 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
5 Replies Last post: Feb 18, 2009 6:18 PM by Jason Malmstadt  
Jason Malmstadt Newbie 4 posts since
Sep 12, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 10, 2009 11:43 PM

Dynamic ClearCase Views with TeamCity

I am having issues creating VCS roots that point to dynamic views in BASE ClearCase on a linux server. It seems to be a new issue with TeamCity 4.

On the linux server, the same server that hosts TeamCity, I start the view myview. This creates the view root directory /view/myview/.

On the New VCS Root screen, I enter /view/myview/vobs/dir1 as my view path and choose BASE as the ClearCase type. I then test the connection.

In TeamCity 3.1.2, the connection is successful with the following message: Connection Successful! directory version "/view/myview/vobs/dir1@@/main/12" and the message continues to list some details about the directory.

In TeamCity 4.02, I get the following error message directly below the view path text box: Invalid path: '/view/myview/vobs/dir1'; cannot find view root, directory containing 'view.dat' file

This view root does not contain a view.dat file. It appears from the following article that view.dat files are only associated with Snapshot views (http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21204161). This is a dynamic view. In addition, it appears that a snapshot view on linux, the file be named ".view.dat".

Has TeamCity 4 dropped support for dynamic views? If not, any ideas on how I can get my view root to be accepted?

Yegor Yarko JetBrains 1,832 posts since
May 5, 2004
Feb 11, 2009 1:50 PM in response to: Jason Malmstadt
Re: Dynamic ClearCase Views with TeamCity

Jason,

Thank you for brining our atention to the case. The responsible developer will be available next week and will investigate the issue.

As I see in the code the check was there already in 3.1.2 but it may not worked before for some reason.

--
Best regards,

Yegor Yarko
Project Manager (TeamCity)
JetBrains, Inc
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

Maxim Manuylov JetBrains 167 posts since
Apr 1, 2008
Feb 17, 2009 12:35 PM in response to: Jason Malmstadt

Jason,

View root finding algorithm in TeamCity 4.0.2 is the same as in TeamCity 3.1.2. Actually it finds both files "view.dat" and ".view.dat" so error message is incorrect.

Since this algorithm only checks the existing of the file without reading its content the workaround is to create empty "view.dat" or ".view.dat" file in the view root directory.

Later I will make ClearCase settings improving that removes the necessity of this algorithm at all, you can find this issue in our tracker: http://jetbrains.net/tracker/issue/TW-7192

Maxim Manuylov JetBrains 167 posts since
Apr 1, 2008
Feb 18, 2009 6:11 PM in response to: Jason Malmstadt

Jason,

It is very strange... Did you create this file exactly in "/view/<viewname>" directory?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...