6 Replies Last post: Feb 10, 2010 1:28 PM by Oleg Stepanov  
Noam Kfir Newbie 30 posts since
May 29, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 24, 2009 2:26 PM

Attach to running process

Will dotTrace 4 support attaching to a running process?

This was sorely lacking in dotTrace 3.

I don't know if other products support this, but it would be extremely useful to be able to attach to a normally running process just before or, better yet, during an intensive operation to capture a trace.

Oleg Stepanov JetBrains 70 posts since
May 6, 2003
Dec 6, 2009 5:56 PM in response to: Noam Kfir
Re: Attach to running process

We will only be able to support attach scenario for CLR4 processes in sampling and memory profiling mode.

Alec L Newbie 6 posts since
Jun 9, 2009
Feb 4, 2010 6:27 PM in response to: Oleg Stepanov

Can you elaborate on this?  I'm mostly interested in ASP.Net applications and attaching to IIS to profile a high CPU issue when it occurs.  We can't just leave the profiler attached day and night waiting for an issue that may only occur once every other week as that presents a larger risk than the issue itself.

Are you saying when Visual Studio 2010 and .NET 4 come out that if I recompile my application then I will be able to attach/detach to it in production without any user disruption?  This would be fantastic if so.

May 6, 2003
Feb 5, 2010 6:49 PM in response to: Alec L

Yes, we will support attach to CLR4 processes in a future build of dotTrace, currently the support is not ready.

May 6, 2003
Feb 5, 2010 6:49 PM in response to: Alec L

But actually you can now attach dotTrace 4 in sampling mode to a running ASP.NET application for a night - it will not slow it down and it will open the snapshot at the end.

Alec L Newbie 6 posts since
Jun 9, 2009
Feb 8, 2010 2:20 PM in response to: Oleg Stepanov

So unlike dotTrace 3.1, dotTrace 4 will not require restarting IIS to attach/detach?

May 6, 2003
Feb 10, 2010 1:28 PM in response to: Alec L

If IIS runs CLR4 and you are satisfied with sampling profiling, then no, it will not.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...