10 Replies Last post: Dec 23, 2010 5:30 PM by rafib  
Daniel Neubert Newbie 5 posts since
Aug 13, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 13, 2010 11:54 AM

PhpStorm extremely slow on large source files

Hi guys,

I'm currently evaluating PhpStorm for my daily coding work and I'm totally stunned about it's features and speed (coming from Aptana/Eclipse/Zend Studio).

But there is one really big issue that blurs my oppionion on PhpStorm's speed: Every time I open/edit larger PHP files (i.e. 10K lines of code) PhpStorm becomes more slow than a sloth. I've to wait up to 60 seconds after changing a single character in one of these bigger files.

I've this experience on two machines:

Both have the same software basis: PhpStorm 1.01, Ubuntu 10.4 x64, Sun JRE 6 (6.20dlj-1ubuntu3)

Machine 1 is a Core i7 920, 12GB RAM, machine 2 is AMD Phenom X4 965, 4GB RAM

Configuration has not been changed - I'm experiencing this using out of the box configuration.

Interesting fact: CPU usage and IO wait keep as low as using smaller files - there is nothing suspicious.

What can I do to get more performance on editing larger files?

Alexey Gopachenko JetBrains 1,461 posts since
Aug 22, 2002
Aug 16, 2010 9:43 PM in response to: Daniel Neubert
Re: PhpStorm extremely slow on large source files

You can try disabling all inspections (click on inspector head in status bar) and php-related language injection (settings|language injection).

Also we'd like to investigate the problem:

Please capture CPU snapshot (using last toolbar buttons in 1.0.2 RC build): start recording - type 10-20 characters add stop

Please create new ticket at http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issues/WI and attach it there.

Also it will be great if you send us files in question for further investigation - mind that you may want set "visible to: jetbrains team" on attachment.

Keith Davis Apprentice 675 posts since
Aug 23, 2010
Sep 17, 2010 5:33 PM in response to: Daniel Neubert

What corresponding performance improvements? Mine is still very slow on large files. If I have to disable inspections, what's the point? I'll go back to using Netbeans, if that is the case (still on the fence, we use both.)

Aug 22, 2002
Sep 17, 2010 6:05 PM in response to: Daniel Neubert

Editor performance problems with large PHP files will be addressed in 2.0. Next EAPs will get faster php parser and other php-specific improvements.

The problem is that while PhpStorm 2.0 EAP builds will contain php-specific improvements it will also get "work-in-progress" version of IDE platform - and currently there are several known (and quite huge) performance problems related to code inspection, because this part is beeng reworked. These problems are to be fixed closer to 2.0 release time.

Aug 22, 2002
Dec 14, 2010 12:10 PM in response to: Daniel Neubert

Well, the formatting and reparsing speeds - that's the slowest part when typing large files - were improved significantly since my previous mesage. That was specifically profiled and adressed.

There's still lot that we're able (and plan) to improve. We're still in "adding features" stage for 2.0 but quite soon we will shift our focus to bugfixing and performance optimisation. However we can't give any estimates on what boost you may expect.

rafib Newbie 47 posts since
May 4, 2010
Dec 23, 2010 5:30 PM in response to: Daniel Neubert

Wish there was a way to boost phpstorms' performance.. inspections are really slow on my js files

Core i7 with 6gb ram

Keith Davis Apprentice 675 posts since
Aug 23, 2010
Dec 14, 2010 6:05 PM in response to: Daniel Neubert

I don't know if it's normal, but I use three editors regularly (Netbeans, PHPStorm, ZendStudio), and only Netbeans handles files over 3000 lines very well (and not great), and I have a beast of a machine (Quad 940, 4GB DDR3, Windows 7 x64, RAID 0 Array, blah, blah blah.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...