4 Replies Last post: Feb 22, 2013 4:23 AM by Eyal Shilony  
Eyal Shilony Newbie 66 posts since
Jan 21, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 17, 2013 1:26 PM

R# naming style is really primitive, how about changing it?

Hello,

I've always wondered why did you choose this kind of configuration approach to your naming style, I mean, couldn't you let the user write code and let R# copycat or deduce the conventions based on the actual code the user provided? it's much easier to express how you want the code to look like rather than going through detailed configuration about it.

This feature can replace both the Formatting Style configuration and the Type Members Layout of R#.

This is obviously a suggestion but I think that it's much more intuitive than the current configuration that grows and grows with each new version of R#, this will ease some of the pain that we have to go through when we're configurating R#.

Alex Berezoutsky JetBrains 580 posts since
Feb 18, 2011
Feb 20, 2013 4:14 PM in response to: Eyal Shilony
Re: R# naming style is really primitive, how about changing it?

Hello Eyal,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Basically, the idea of some kind of "Check my code and adjust ReSharper formatting and naming style based on it" feature is really common. However, we cannot implement it now, since there are lots of difficulties (for example, different naming styles for one type of symbol used in the same file/project/solution). These kinds of conflicts can be hardly avoided, as well as it is not clear now how to implement it to be efficient as well as user-friendly. If in this 'conflict' scenario, this feature will provide a list of different naming styles detected in file, it won't be very useful.

As soon as we find out a 'golden middle' implementation for this, we will provide this functionality in ReSharper.

Currently, all formatting and naming styles should be adjusted manually (thankfully we have dosens of settings, so everything is configurable).

Thanks for the suggestion anyways!

Alex Berezoutsky JetBrains 580 posts since
Feb 18, 2011
Feb 21, 2013 4:14 PM in response to: Eyal Shilony
Re: R# naming style is really primitive, how about changing it?

Hi Eyal,

Thanks for the detailed description. This makes sence; I forwarded your suggestion to the correspoinding developer.

Hopefully, we can do something about it.

Thanks!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...