This Question is Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
12 Replies Last post: May 16, 2013 12:39 PM by Vladimir Krivosheev  
John Broglio Newbie 9 posts since
Mar 23, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 23, 2013 1:59 AM

node.js javascript debugger starting very slowly

Running on linux (ubuntu 12.04), Idea 11.1.5 or Idea 11.1.4, node v0.8.22 or v0.8.8. 16GB RAM, plenty of disk space, Intel i7 CPU, no software firewall running.

I am working in node v0.8.22, Idea 11.0.5 on a client-server project on a local disk. When starting the debugger, it seems that lately it takes about 3 minutes (2:55 typically) for Idea to bring up the javascript program and connect with it. (I see the same issue with v0.8.8 and Idea 11.0.4.)

Once the connection is made, debugging works just fine in every way.

If I use node-inspector instead of Idea and run the program from the command-line, it starts and connects immediately. It goes without saying that I like debugging with Idea much better than with node-inspector and Chrome. 

I cannot be absolutely sure, but this issue seems to have come up since December 2012 when I last worked on the project. I am sure I would have noticed it if I had seen it before.

It may be something strange in my environment, but I can't figure out where to start looking. Has anyone else seen a problem with this? Or have any suggestions where to start looking? 

Thanks for any suggestions

John

Sergey Simonchik JetBrains 171 posts since
Sep 28, 2011
Mar 25, 2013 12:22 PM in response to: John Broglio
Re: node.js javascript debugger starting very slowly

Maybe this issue is relevant http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/WEB-6581 .

If you encounter this problem once more, please attach here your idea.log file (on the main menu Help | Reveal Log in Nautilus).

Sep 28, 2011
Mar 27, 2013 12:49 PM in response to: John Broglio

Thanks for the log.

Well, looks like http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/WEB-6581 issue isn't relevant for your situation, because according to the log you are running NodeJS 117.746 plugin version, and that issue affects versions >= 126.159.

Anyway, please try the small app attached to the http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/WEB-6581#comment=27-450298. Looking forward to the results.

Sep 28, 2011
Mar 28, 2013 12:57 AM in response to: John Broglio

If I understand you correctly the problem is reproducible even on empty JavaScript file (because you said you added a time log message at the beginning of the script before any 'require' or configuration loading).

If so, could you please describe how I can create the same dependencies to reproduce the problem (or if possible attach archived version here).

Thanks.

Vladimir Krivosheev Novice 220 posts since
Mar 3, 2007

It seems our bug. But a lot of work was done in this area since WebStorm 6 release, WebStorm 7 EAP will begin soon.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...