4 Replies Last post: May 1, 2013 7:24 PM by CoffeeAddict  
Mike Barlow Newbie 2 posts since
Apr 20, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 20, 2013 2:41 AM

Webstorm basics

My normal IDE for editing JavaScript and HTML is Visual Studio, but after watching videos of many different individuals using Webstorm and being productive, I decided to purchase the product.   To learn WebStorm I want to create some simple HTML and JavaScript, but I'm having issues just doing basic things in WebStorm. For example: in HTML I want to create a link element (<ling href="...">) to reference to a css file. One would think that WebStorm should have a feature to help with this.

I've watched many tutorial on Webstore, but they all seem advanced.  In these video people are cranking out code and it seems that they are using many features of WebStorm, but in these videos there are no references to the key strokes; code, menus and files just appear from no where. Most of the video I see are about new features in WebStorm 6. The new features are great and I will probably use them one day, but I just want to be able to edit HTML and JavaScript in a more productive way.

I've found the WebStorm reference Card (http://www.jetbrains.com/webstorm/documentation/WebStorm_ReferenceCard.pdf) and believe this will be benefiial as a refernce, but first I would like to understand the basics and dig more into the advance things. 

Are there videos that can provide me the basics to editing HTML and JavaScript in WebStorm? 

Just before I submited this post I found the following video on JetBrains webiste.  This information is great, but limited.  The very first tip that the presenter (John Lindquist) showed was how to auto-complete a src path in HTML; this was what I was looking for. He mentioned that [ctrl]+[space] will show all the files in the current path and then he mentioned that [ctrl]+[space]+[space] will display all the JS files in the project.  After seeing this, I referred to the WebStorm Reference Card, but there was no reference to the shortcut. How do I learn about these basic feature?  The title of the video is "Power Answers - Speed Tricks", but this seems like basic information that any HTML developer would need to know to be productive with WebStorm.

Video - Power Answers - Speed Trickst

http://tv.jetbrains.net/videocontent/power-answers-speed-tricks

I need to see some progress in my productivity using WebStorm to justify using WebStorm instead of Visual Studio.

What resource are there to learn the basics or WebStorm?

Mike Barlow

Konstantin Ulitin JetBrains 80 posts since
Jan 19, 2012
Apr 26, 2013 1:57 PM in response to: Mike Barlow
Re: Webstorm basics

Hi Mike!

We are trying to make our products self-explaining and intuitive:) But we have some resources with tutorials and documentation:

http://wiki.jetbrains.net/intellij/#Tutorials - common IntelliJ tutorials, not only WebStorm, please take a look

http://blog.jetbrains.com/webstorm/ - announces, feature presentation etc.

http://www.jetbrains.com/webstorm/webhelp/webstorm.html - documentation

If you have any questions, please ask here.

Regards,

Konstantin

CoffeeAddict Newbie 82 posts since
Oct 6, 2009
May 1, 2013 7:19 PM in response to: Mike Barlow

I am also a C# .NET developer who is using and LOVES Webstorm 6.0.1 and is very new to it.  I'll never use VS for JS debugging, this is too helpful and amazing of a product and VS or other tools pale badly in comparison.  I don't think there's been any tool that's gotten me this excited, not even VS itself.  This thing is just unreal.

Anyway I struggled with some of the basics also sucha s setting up debugging.  I finally got that down, and it's not hard, you just have to know how to do it and yes I agree WS docs don't tell you the basics as far as "assumptions" go.  They assume you know certain things and I feel they should go deeper at the start starting with someone who knows nothing about debugging in webstorm or lets even go to the point of debugging in a browser and js which I do but point being WS needs to have a SET of docs and videos in their help section that are labeled "Very Basic" or something that preceeds what they have now.

With that if you have questions on debugging, I know enough to be productive...just reply here and I'll try and help if I can.

I'm gonna be blogging about WS stuff eventually, once I can find time to get it hosted again.

CoffeeAddict Newbie 82 posts since
Oct 6, 2009
May 1, 2013 7:24 PM in response to: CoffeeAddict

And Mike given the fact that I had tried out the latest R# EAP last, it was causing issues in Visual Studio whereas the debugging was just not working as expected with MSTests.  So..I reverted back to R#7.  Point being do not try EAPs.  They'll f you up .  I learned the hard way by wasting 2 days on a problem that ulitmately boiled down to me forgetting I had tried the new EAP and by removing and re-installing R#7 that was the entire issue.  EAPs are just that, they STILL have a lot of bugs, no matter what anyone tells you.

So, I would not use the EAP for Webstorm, that's just my opinion.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...