4 Replies Last post: Jul 1, 2013 2:46 PM by Denis Zhdanov  
Adam Strzelecki Newbie 2 posts since
Jun 29, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 29, 2013 5:20 PM

Is IDEA superset for all other IDEs?

I am testing IDEA for some GWT project I've recently was given to extend. I have found IDEA to be great replacement for sluggist Eclipse. Now I am thinking about purchasing IDEA and using it for other projects, including other languages. I've read somewhere on forums IDEA is superset for other specialized IDE's like RubyMine, but unfortuntelly I cannot find C#, ObjC plugins for IDEA.

So what is the current status of IDEA? Is it superset of other IDEs like RubyMine, AppCode and upcoming C++ IDE or not? Is there any comparison what is included in what IDEs?

Frankly speaking, if IDEA was containing all features of other JetBrain IDEs I would buy it right away.

Mark Vedder Apprentice 971 posts since
Dec 10, 2003
Jun 29, 2013 5:51 PM in response to: Adam Strzelecki
Re: Is IDEA superset for all other IDEs?

Unfortunately there is not a comparison chart that compares the IDEs. IDEA is a super set of PhpStorm (although you have to install the the plug-in separately), PyCharm, RubyMine, and WebStorm. It also includes support for Java, Java EE, Scala (via plug-in), Groovy, Android, Flex/ActionScript, Freemarker, Velocity, XML, Xpath, SQL, and a number of Frameworks. It does not include support for ObjC or C++, or C#. AppCode is for ObjC. JetBrains does not offer a standalone C# IDE. They offer ReSharper which is an extension to Visual Studio and brings in many of the features found in their standalone IDEs. They also offer some other .NET tools.

So basically, IDEA is a superset of all the non-C/.NET IDEs.

Mark Vedder Apprentice 971 posts since
Dec 10, 2003
Jun 29, 2013 7:11 PM in response to: Adam Strzelecki

I'll have to leave answering that question to one of the JetBrains representatives.

Denis Zhdanov Expert 1,620 posts since
Oct 20, 2007
Jul 1, 2013 2:46 PM in response to: Adam Strzelecki

Hi Adam,

We don't have plans regarding adding AppCode functionality into UE at the moment.

About C++ support - it's too early to make statements about that, sorry

Denis

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...