6 Replies Last post: Jul 8, 2013 9:19 AM by Rurik Becker  
Rurik Becker Newbie 28 posts since
Sep 24, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 4, 2013 2:07 PM

Organize breakpoints, favorites and bookmarks in some sort of working sets

Hi guys,

first I'd like to say that AppCode is really great and way better than XCode.

But there is one key feature that I'm really missing and that would make AppCode really perfect.

At my daily work I (and possibly everyone else) work on a lot of different problems, developing features, finding bugs, ...

So I debug a lot, setting some breakpoints until the problem is solved. Then I work on some other task, disabling or deleting all breakpoints, because they are not useful in this new context.

Some days later I have to switch back to some earlier task, and now I would need all the breakpoints I set then. As well as the open files, bookmarks, and so on.

The feature I'm missing is that you can create "working sets" or "working contexts" or "task sets", name it what you like, thats contains

• breakpoints
  • open files (replaces favorites)
  • bookmarks

Each time I begin a new task I create a new "task set", AppCode automatically tracks all set breakpoints, open files, bookmarks and saves them in this context.

I then can easily switch to an earlier task set by simpling clicking on it in a "task set window", and breakpoints, open files and bookmarks are respectively restored.

Of course it should be possible to delete or rename a "task set", have a name, short description and long description for it, and get some infos (like breakpoints, open files, etc.) about it via tooltip in the list.

A good practice for a developer could be, to name a task set after the ticket number he/she is working on.

I find the favorites and bookmarks quite useless at the moment, because they require a lot of discipline and organization.

Setting and unsetting bookmarks is also quite laborious.

Sorry my English is not that good.

Did you get the idea, what I am thinking of?

How realistic is it?

Regards

Rurik

Saqib  Saleem Novice 152 posts since
Jan 8, 2003
Jul 5, 2013 12:26 PM in response to: Rurik Becker
Re: Organize breakpoints, favorites and bookmarks in some sort of working sets

This is a great idea and one that I saw in eclipse a while ago. This would not only be useful for Appcode but perhaps all IDEA based IDEs.

Maarten Hazewinkel Novice 266 posts since
Feb 19, 2003
Jul 5, 2013 2:10 PM in response to: Rurik Becker

There is already a feature in both AppCode and IDEA called "Tasks and Contexts" that tracks open files

for specific tasks. These tasks can be based on an issue from an issue tracker, or can be defined on the

fly.

Switching between tasks will re-set the open files to what they were when you last worked on that task.

Breakpoints are not included in the context, and would probably be a useful addition. You can submit

a feature request to that effect.

Anton Makeev JetBrains 1,291 posts since
Dec 19, 2006
Jul 5, 2013 4:32 PM in response to: Rurik Becker

Rurik,

PVCS is not supported out of the box, but you can try various plugins available, e.g. this one.

Maarten Hazewinkel Novice 266 posts since
Feb 19, 2003
Jul 5, 2013 7:50 PM in response to: Rurik Becker

When I looked in the documentation for Tasks and Context, it did not mention breakpoints.

I see it mentioned now on the site for Idea, so perhaps the documentation is simply out of date.

Or perhaps the breakpoints part wasn't implemented on AppCode yet.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...