2 Replies Last post: Jul 17, 2013 12:50 AM by Peter Stora  
Peter Stora Newbie 7 posts since
Jul 15, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 15, 2013 12:20 AM

Debugging visual studio 2012 plugin impossible due to Resharper...?!

Hi there,

I've been using resharper for a long time and have been really happy with the product!

That beeing said though - it seems that developing visual studio plugins is impossible at the moment, due to the following issue caused by resharper:

The following exception keeps repeating when creating a CSharp console application and opening a CSharp file in the Visual Studio debug instance:

A first chance exception of type 'JetBrains.ReSharper.Psi.Parsing.UnexpectedToken' occurred in JetBrains.ReSharper.Psi.CSharp.dll

It just keeps repeating... and pretty much freezing the Visual Studio debug instance.

This is how I reproduced it:

1. Create a visual studio AddIn project - alternatively create a Resharper plugin project.

2. Start debugging the plugin - which will open a new visual studio instance.

3. Create a new CSharp project of any kind (console / lib etc...) in the instance that is beegin debugged.

4. Open any .cs file.

5. Now the exception is beeing thrown.

I have tried this with both resharper 7.1.3 (the build on the website) and also with the 8.0 beta.

Do you have any workaround for this? (other than suspending resharper in the debugged instance... which solves the issue... but then I can't debug the Resharper plugin we are planning do develop...)

Hope you can point me out to some solution!

Thank you,

/Peter

Matt Ellis Novice 305 posts since
Jul 5, 2009
Currently Being Moderated
Jul 16, 2013 2:49 PM in response to: Peter Stora
Re: Debugging visual studio 2012 plugin impossible due to Resharper...?!

I have seen this happen from time to time, where VS seems to get itself into a kind of infinite loop while debugging ReSharper. I've been able to get things working again by detaching the debugger and re-attaching. It doesn't happen every time, and I haven't figured out what causes it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...