This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
3 Replies Last post: Jul 31, 2013 8:16 PM by Andriy Bazanov  
Joe Krukosky Newbie 4 posts since
Oct 9, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 26, 2013 6:00 PM

Site slow to load in browser after debugging

Lately I have experienced an odd situation where a site I'm working on loads excessively slow (minutes per page) after debugging in PhpStorm.  I'm still trying to lock down how and when exactly this happens.  I'm not even sure PhpStorm is causing it, but definitely happens after debugging in Storm.     -    Here’s what seems to happen:  I start a debug session, everything works ok, hits breakpoints, etc.  Then I may start, stop, end and restart debug sessions.  At some point pages just start to take minutes to load, if they do at all.  This happens in the browser I was debugging in only.  The site loads fine in other browsers, and also in that browser on a deferent machine.     -    I have tried clearing caches/cookies, restarting the machine, restarting the server; I even tried uninstalling (total removal) of Firefox and reinstalling.  Other copies of the site on the same server load fine in the same browser.  The issue seems to be tied to the url used to access the site.  I use local TLDs setup through apache and local hosts file, (e.g., site1.dev).  -    This has happened in both IE and Firefox.     -    Has anyone else experienced this?    -      -   Some environment background:   -   Storm ver 6.0.3, is running on Win7.  -   Sites run in a lamp stack on Ubuntu 12.04  -   Apache 2.2.22, PHP 5.3.10, MySQL 5.5.31, xdebug 2.2.3  -   The server and workstations are on same local subnet.    -   I have also attached the output from php info.

Sorry about the formatting of this message, the WYSIWYG editor wasn't working for me.  Message was edited by: Joe Krukosky

Attachments:
Alexey Gopachenko JetBrains 1,464 posts since
Aug 22, 2002
Jul 30, 2013 3:43 PM in response to: Joe Krukosky
Re: Site slow to load in browser after debugging

The first thing that comes in mind that you dont really stop/end debugging sessions, may be some even got stuck and consume RAM/CPU? try investigating on server with ps/netstat or other sutiable tools. May be just start from perfmon.

Andriy Bazanov Master 4,050 posts since
May 28, 2010
Jul 31, 2013 8:16 PM in response to: Joe Krukosky
Re: Site slow to load in browser after debugging

Hi there,

If you sayings that slowness lasts for about 1 hour after debug is over .. then xdebug cookies may still be present and xdebug still trying to connect to debug client on every page view (but the delay should be around 1 second only and it is not configurable, unless xdebug is built from sources).

Those browser extensions/bookmarklets that used to initiate debug session (that I was trying/using) they set such cookie lifetime to 1 hour .. or until browser is restarted. Clearing cookies in conjunction with browser restart should solve the problem completely.

In any case: after you finish debugging .. try using "Stop" functionality of the tool used to initiate it in first place (e.g. "Stop debugger" bookmarklet or deactivate/stop debug session if browser extension is used -- obviously, it needs to be initiated when you working with such site, as cookies are set/removed on per domain base).

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...