1 "helpful" answer available (2 pts)
8 Replies Last post: Aug 23, 2013 5:30 PM by m.y  
m.y Newbie 21 posts since
Jan 3, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 23, 2013 2:23 PM

Upgrade to 12.1.4

Hello

I have an ultimate licence and am upgrading mt IntelliJ to 12.1.4.

I uninstalled all the previous versions but did not delete my plugins, cache etc

However, in the installation progress when I selected the folder of a previous installation, it said it couldn't find any configurations files there. So I just went with the other option to start from scratch, put in my licence.

I can see in my folder for IDEA 12.0.4 a bin folder and a lib folder but not too sure how I can use that to get all my projects etc back to how they were before the upgrade into this new version.

And when I try rto Import my exsiting projects and select my .iml file, I'm getting an error saying Cannot import anything from C:/project path.iml.

If anyone can help please! :-(

Not sure what to do.

Alexander Doroshko JetBrains 1,298 posts since
Jun 9, 2009
Aug 23, 2013 2:51 PM in response to: m.y
Re: Upgrade to 12.1.4

You should do the following:

• make sure that plugins, configs and caches of the previous installation really exist on your computer. Most likeky all these are stored in the folder {user.home}/.IntelliJIdea11, where {user.home} on Windows is usually C:/users/{your name}.
  • make sure that IntelliJ IDEA is not running
  • delete (or rename) the folder {user.home}/.IntelliJIdea12
  • start IntelliJ IDEA, select to import settings from previous version and select the following folder: {user.home}/.IntelliJIdea11/config.

.IntelliJIdea12 folder will be created again and all your settings should be imported.

Jun 9, 2009
Aug 23, 2013 3:10 PM in response to: m.y

I only have the one C:/Users/.IntelliJIdea12.

That means that you don't have configuration, plugins and caches of the previous IntelliJ IDEA installations. Don't worry, you lost not that much:

- configured SDKs

- configured Global Libraries

- list of the recent projects

- global custom settings like colors&fonts,code completion settings and thousand more, but most probably you worked with most of them set to default

- installed 3rd-party plugins

So just open manually the project(s) that you work with (File | Open..., select project folder (not iml file!)), open Project Structure and fix error detected there because of not-configured SDKs and Global Libs).

Jun 9, 2009
Aug 23, 2013 5:13 PM in response to: m.y

Sorry, I didn't notice that you upgrade from 12.0.4 and thought you upgrade from 11.x.

Yes, all versions of IntelliJ IDEA 12.x by default store all global settings/plugins/caches in the same folders. In future if you'd like to have several installations of the same major version in parallel - you need to set custom values to the following properties in each {IntelliJ DEA installation}/bin/idea.properties file:

idea.config.path

idea.system.path

idea.plugins.path

idea.log.path

Jun 9, 2009
Aug 23, 2013 5:24 PM in response to: m.y

I'm not sure I got the question.

All dependencies, compile options, etc. are stored per project and you didn't loose any configured project. You lost only global things like SDKs - that's easy to reconfigure.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...