10 Replies Last post: Mar 17, 2014 11:50 AM by Alex Berezoutsky  
Jon Stelly Newbie 15 posts since
Nov 10, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 17, 2013 1:20 AM

I'd like to start a discussion on turning off moderator-approval for discussions

I've had this happen 3 times now, where I've tried to submit a constructive discussion here and they don't get approved.  Since they don't get approved, they don't show up in my history so I can't get to the original text.  In all cases, I tend to spend 15-30 minutes wording them to be informative and helpful to others only to have the content eaten because I didn't archive it off somewhere.

I understand a desire to keep spam and trash out of here, but these discussion boards feel nowhere near as active as they should considering how many people use ReSharper and what a great tool it is.  I've got to say, I'm severely discouraged to the point that I can't see myself coming back here to try and discuss things and I'm sure I'm not alone.

If you want to build a community and you insist on keeping the moderator-approval of posts (which I'd like to strongly encourage you to reconsider), you have to err on the side of allowing discussions instead of censoring them, or if you're going to reject a submission, at least have the courtesy to reply to the person with why it was rejected.

Alex Berezoutsky JetBrains 581 posts since
Feb 18, 2011
Sep 17, 2013 1:34 PM in response to: Jon Stelly
Re: I'd like to start a discussion on turning off moderator-approval for discussions

Hi Jon,

We apologize for the inconvenience.

I'm responsible for community and forums moderation and was on a vacation - that's why the moderation of new topics was delayed for several days. Sorry about that.

Now I'm back and am checking new threads at least once a day.

Also, we cannot turn off the moderation due to big amounts of spam here.

Sorry once again - we'll do our best to update the forums/threads faster. If you have any urgent issues, feel free to contact us as resharper-support.jetbrains.com.

Thanks!

Richard Deeming Novice 152 posts since
Oct 6, 2010

fergard wrote:

I'm responsible for community and forums moderation and was on a vacation - that's why the moderation of new topics was delayed for several days.

It would probably be a good idea to have someone else cover that role when you're not around.

Feb 18, 2011

Hi Richard,

Sure. We'll make sure that this situation will not happen in the future.

Damien Murty Newbie 75 posts since
Aug 20, 2010
Sep 17, 2013 8:23 PM in response to: Jon Stelly
Re: I'd like to start a discussion on turning off moderator-approval for discussions

I also have experience Jon's issue in posting disussions only to have them not approved.

Thanks,

Damien

Michael Ryan Newbie 4 posts since
Aug 1, 2013
Mar 14, 2014 11:10 AM in response to: Damien Murty

Approximately how long does it take to have a new thread approved? I submitted a new thread a day or two ago, and haven't seen it appear yet. Like the OP said, the post doesn't appear under "my discussions", so I cannot even retrieve what I submitted. Are users notified if their threads are not approved?

Feb 18, 2011
Mar 14, 2014 12:55 PM in response to: Michael Ryan

We check the moderation queue about once a day every working day. The delay on your topic is all about local holidays we have here in Russia. Sorry about that.

Michael Ryan Newbie 4 posts since
Aug 1, 2013

Thanks for the update! I hadn't considered holidays.

Klaus Luedenscheidt Apprentice 714 posts since
May 28, 2004

If you establish a manual approvement in my opinion you should ensure that this is done every day even on local holidays. Also a one day delay may be not accepatble for some people (for me personally it's ok). My last question i posted in this forum  was not approved until i wrote a mail to the official R# support and it is not answered until now. I expect that the R# developers watch this forum on a regular base and answer questions of the users.  I'm a R# user since you released the tool and i must say that there where excited discussions between the developers and user in the past, but in the present such discussions became a rare case.

Best Regards

Klaus

Feb 18, 2011

Hi Klaus,

Sure, we absolutely agree with you, however we're all humans and this kind of situation may happen.

Sorry for the inconveninece.

Thank you.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...