This Question is Not Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 1 "helpful" answer available (2 pts)
5 Replies Last post: Oct 24, 2013 3:38 AM by Ray Bird  
Ray Bird Newbie 8 posts since
May 21, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 11, 2013 1:33 AM

Why do muted tests that pass automatically become muted again when they next fail?

I am testing the test muting feature before making general use of it.

1. I created 3 failing tests, ran a build, then muted the failing tests, with "unmute" option set to "when test passes successfully".
  2. I ran another build.  TeamCity reported the build as successful, with 3 muted tests.
  3. I fixed the 3 failing tests, ran a build.  All tests passed, no tests shown as muted. 
    So far, everything is as I expected.

4. I re-created the same 3 failing tests and ran a build.  TeamCity reported the build as successful, with those 3 tests as muted. 

Is the result in step 4 the correct behaviour?  I had expected TeamCity to forget about the previous "muting" on those tests once those tests had passed, and fail the build.

Also, the muted tests in Step 4 do not have the "muted" icon.

I am running TeamCity 8.0.3 Enterprise.  Screenshot of Step 4 results attached.

TCMutedTestsUnexpected.png

Zdenek Gabas Newbie 44 posts since
Aug 15, 2013
Oct 11, 2013 2:36 PM in response to: Ray Bird
Re: Why do muted tests that pass automatically become muted again when they next fail?

Hello Ray,

I reproduced your scenario in the same TC version and it works as intended - recreated tests (step 4) failed with no mute flag set on. What tests do you use? Do you have some history builds? Can you please also check server and agent logs for some errors?

regards

Zdenek

Zdenek Gabas Newbie 44 posts since
Aug 15, 2013
Oct 14, 2013 4:23 PM in response to: Ray Bird
Re: Why do muted tests that pass automatically become muted again when they next fail?
Hello Ray,
There should not be any significant delays unmuting the tests (not 30 minutes or so).
There were some issues with incorrect automatic unmuting in 8.0.x, so just in case it's better to upgrade to the latest minor release (8.0.4).
Isn't it possible the test were unmuted because of some other build, which you didn't take into account? Also there is a useful hint: when you think the test should be unmuted, and it is not, you can go to the "Muted problems" tab and expand the test. TeamCity should show all the latest test runs, and since TeamCity thinks it's not successful, there should be a failure among them. It is possible that because of a bug last test runs are computed incorrectly (in this case any details will be helpful for us), i.e. the failed test run is wrong. Or you may spot the test run that you didn't take into account before. But in any case it would be clearer why TeamCity holds the mute.
regards
Zdenek

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...