13 Replies Last post: Dec 31, 2013 11:31 AM by Mohammed Helewa  
Mohammed Helewa Newbie 9 posts since
Oct 9, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 26, 2013 10:01 PM

File Watchers YUI Compressor

Hello,,

I am using YUI Compressor to minify some js file.

but i do not know how to use it co compine multible js files in one file using phpstorm filewatchers.

Any help will be appreciated

thanks

Andriy Bazanov Master 4,079 posts since
May 28, 2010
Dec 27, 2013 1:04 AM in response to: Mohammed Helewa
Re: File Watchers YUI Compressor

Hi there,

1) You can create separate scope (Settings | Scopes) that would include those files only. Then, use that scope in separate file watcher .. and in file watcher itself manually reference all files so that all required files will be processed and all output will go into that single file.

2) If that is not possible with YUI Composer (i.e. because it cannot combine multiple files itself -- I have not used it this way myself), then you can create some batch/shell file that would compress all required files first and then merge result files into one. Obviously, you have to use this script instead of actual YUI Compressor in File Watcher.

May 28, 2010
Dec 27, 2013 7:51 PM in response to: Mohammed Helewa

Well ... the Stack Overflow question and my #1 are the same thing .. but it does not work for me either -- only first file is in the final output.

At this moment  I may only suggest my original 2nd suggested approach: create batch script that will do all this and use in File Watcher instead of yuicompressor.jar. Something like this:

js-merge.cmd

@rem Minify all requeired files one by one first into temp files

java.exe -jar "C:\Users\Mohammed\path\to\your\yuicompressor.jar" bootstrap.js -o bootstrap.min.js.tmp

java.exe -jar "C:\Users\Mohammed\path\to\your\yuicompressor.jar" custom.js -o custom.min.js.tmp

@rem Merge all minified files into single file

copy bootstrap.min.js.tmp /B + custom.min.js.tmp /B final.min.js

@rem Delete all temp files

del /F /Q *.min.js.tmp

May 28, 2010
Dec 27, 2013 9:55 PM in response to: Mohammed Helewa

It should work OK -- I'm using something similar in one of the projects (bath script), for different purposes though.

The only things I may suggest:

1. Disable "Immediate file synchronization" option, so that file watcher will run on Save only (that's in case it gets executed in inappropriate moments).
  2. Instead of "Project Files" scope -- click on "..." button (or Settings | Scopes) and create custom scope (that would include required/participating .js files only) and use it instead.
  3. Double check from what folder that script gets executed (working/current directory). If you do #2 it should definitely help (especially if you edit other .js files in your project). Try setting up correct working directly in your script as well.
  4. For the moment (for debugging purposes) you may set "Show Console" to "Always" so that you can see when file watcher was triggered (close console after sucessfull execution, so you get notified about next launch).

To manually re-run File Watcher please refer to this thread: http://devnet.jetbrains.com/thread/451797?tstart=0

May 28, 2010
Dec 28, 2013 3:35 PM in response to: Mohammed Helewa

File Watcher works with single file at a time.

The only thing you may want to do is to pass all required files as a parameters to your script and then loop though them inside (you will have to code this part yourself).

There is one "problem" with this though (possibly it is fixed already, not sure) -- File Watcher passes file names with "/" instead of "\" on Windows as path separators and most of standard Windows/DOS commands do not understand such paths. Therefore you can only pass file names only -- without path (e.g. "myscript.js" instead of "C:\projects\myProject\scripts\myscript.js").

May 28, 2010
Dec 30, 2013 4:58 PM in response to: Mohammed Helewa
It results into some temp files wont be deleted

Try deleting the same file again. That's the trick used even in some big popular programs (like Google Chrome). A bit different environment but may work.

Is there any way to get benefit from the file watcher settings like output file name and path

For output file name -- just pass it as FIRST parameter and adjust your code accordingly.

For path -- unlikely (as I have mentioned before -- currently IDE passes path with "/" instead of "\" which Windows/DOS commands do not like. But this needs to be double checked -- possibly it was fixed by now.

also how to use scope

What exactly you want to know?

If you want to use them in this code -- it's not possible. Scope in File Watcher is used to limit the scope (files & folders) on which this particular file watcher will be triggered (in other words: to not to run this File Watcher if you are editing another/unrelated JS file).

P.S.

If you find coding this batch file difficult, maybe it will be easier if you would use another scripting language (e.g. PowerShell/PHP/etc) or even some build tool (like Ant/Phing/Grunt) instead?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...