This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
1 Replies Last post: Jan 5, 2014 2:24 PM by Oleg Sukhodolsky  
Fred Mitchell Newbie 2 posts since
Jan 3, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 5, 2014 2:36 AM

RubyMine 6.0.2 Uncaught exception: failed to allocate memory

On Ubuntu 13.04 and RubyMine 6.0.2, I am having major trouble debugging.

After a custom exception is raise (and I have an exception break set for it), I am left at the place the exception was raised in the debugger.

When I try to traverse the stack frames, it takes a few minutes trying to load the stack frame, and then I get:

Uncaught exception: failed to allocate memory

I am trying to debug a non-Rails application, and I've altered rubymine64.vmoptions because I kept running out of memory before. It is not clear to me that the above error is Java-related or Ruby-related.

I am hoping that this issue can be resolved, because the entire reason I purchased a RubyMine license is to ease my debugging with your tool. I do not wish to have to resort to debugging this complex application from command-line (like I sometimes do).

It is my hopes that RubyMine is up to the task. Please tell me what I am doing wrong here.

My system: i7, 24GB RAM, running 64-bit Ubuntu 13.10, and RubyMine running with the lastest Oracle Java installed:

java version "1.7.0_45"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_45-b18)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.45-b08, mixed mode)

Stack frame dump:

/home/trader/.gem/ruby/2.0.0/gems/ruby-debug-ide-0.4.22/lib/ruby-debug-ide/commands/variables.rb:127:in `inspect'

/home/trader/.gem/ruby/2.0.0/gems/ruby-debug-ide-0.4.22/lib/ruby-debug-ide/commands/variables.rb:127:in `execute'

/home/trader/.gem/ruby/2.0.0/gems/ruby-debug-ide-0.4.22/lib/ruby-debug-ide/ide_processor.rb:41:in `block (2 levels) in process_commands'

/home/trader/.gem/ruby/2.0.0/gems/ruby-debug-ide-0.4.22/lib/ruby-debug-ide/ide_processor.rb:34:in `each'

/home/trader/.gem/ruby/2.0.0/gems/ruby-debug-ide-0.4.22/lib/ruby-debug-ide/ide_processor.rb:34:in `block in process_commands'

/home/trader/.gem/ruby/2.0.0/gems/ruby-debug-ide-0.4.22/lib/ruby-debug-ide/ide_processor.rb:33:in `catch'

/home/trader/.gem/ruby/2.0.0/gems/ruby-debug-ide-0.4.22/lib/ruby-debug-ide/ide_processor.rb:33:in `process_commands'

/home/trader/.gem/ruby/2.0.0/gems/ruby-debug-ide-0.4.22/lib/ruby-debug-ide/event_processor.rb:58:in `line_event'

/home/trader/.gem/ruby/2.0.0/gems/ruby-debug-ide-0.4.22/lib/ruby-debug-ide/event_processor.rb:34:in `at_line'

/usr/local/rvm/rubies/ruby-2.0.0-p353/lib/ruby/gems/2.0.0/gems/debase-0.0.9/lib/debase/context.rb:37:in `at_line'

/home/trader/dev/ruby_projects/rubyneat/lib/rubyneat/critter.rb:130:in `block in wire!'

/home/trader/dev/ruby_projects/rubyneat/lib/rubyneat/critter.rb:128:in `each'

/home/trader/dev/ruby_projects/rubyneat/lib/rubyneat/critter.rb:128:in `wire!'

rubymine64.vmoptions:
-Xms2280m                                                                                                                
-Xmx15120m                                                                                                               
-XX:MaxPermSize=3500m                                                                                                    
-ea                                                                                                                      
-Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false                                                                                            
-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true                                                                                          
-XX:+UseCodeCacheFlushing                                                                                                
-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC                                                                                                  
-XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=50                                                                                           
-Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=lcd                                                                                        

Oleg Sukhodolsky JetBrains 868 posts since
Apr 4, 2012
Currently Being Moderated
Jan 5, 2014 2:24 PM in response to: Fred Mitchell
Re: RubyMine 6.0.2 Uncaught exception: failed to allocate memory

Could you please provide RM's log (Help|Show Log in ...) and also try to run ruby debugger in verbose mode (Settings|Debugger|Ruby) and provides its log too.

Regrads, Oleg.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...