20 Replies Last post: Apr 3, 2014 1:17 PM by Steffen Kirschke  
don nielsen Newbie 10 posts since
Dec 20, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 7, 2014 3:04 AM

Rubymine Debugger Painfully Slow

Has anyone else experienced the latest Rubymine debugger being painfully slow.  Not just slow.  It's painful.  It is so bad I lose track of where I am at and what I am doing because I'm continually waiting 15/20/30+ seconds for "Data Collecting...".  I'm a huge Rubymine fan.  But since this V6 upgrade, which coincidentally updated ruby-ide-debug, the process of stepping through my code is simply unworkable.  I don't know where to begin explaining this.

dvn

Oleg Sukhodolsky JetBrains 735 posts since
Apr 4, 2012
Jan 7, 2014 9:16 PM in response to: don nielsen
Re: Rubymine Debugger Painfully Slow

What version of RubyMine and ruby sdk are you using?

We have fixed something similar in 6.0.2.

Regards, Oleg.

Apr 4, 2012
Jan 8, 2014 6:46 AM in response to: don nielsen

Could you please try to uncheck Settings|Debugger|Ruby|Read frames of non-suspended threads.

Regards, Oleg.

Apr 4, 2012
Jan 9, 2014 10:03 AM in response to: don nielsen

Hmm, coud you please try to run debugger in verbose mode (Settings|Debugger|Ruby) and provide its output and RM's logs (Help|Show Log in ...)

Regards, Oleg.

Apr 4, 2012
Jan 17, 2014 2:39 PM in response to: don nielsen

Hi,

sorry for late responce. The only possible cause of the problem you have I see is that you have several rather big arrays

and we have to evaluate every element of the array to show it to you.

I'd suggest to try to play with it and if this is the cause please file a bug in our tracker (http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues/RUBY)

Regards, Oleg.

Eric Heflin Newbie 15 posts since
Feb 11, 2014
Feb 11, 2014 8:37 AM in response to: Oleg Sukhodolsky

I'm having the same problem.  Just upgraded from 5.4.2 to 6.0.3.  Formerly, debugging the exact same file (a plain old ruby file, no rails), was instantanious.  Now, it takes 20 seconds to 3 minutes, PER LINE of code!  It is unusable.  I have been using puts statements to debug because the debuger is literally unusable now.  I thought there might have been a conflict with the old project file, so I created a brand new project.  Same effect.

Please help.  The debugger is the main reason I purchased RubyMine and now I cannot use it.

BTW, the editor is much faster in 6.0.3 and the code completion works now for the first time.

P.S. I also updated ruby-debug-ide as part of the install.  And I just ran gem install ruby-debug-ide to make sure it was up-to-date.  No effect. Debugging is still unusable.

Steffen Kirschke Newbie 5 posts since
Nov 25, 2012
Jan 21, 2014 12:21 PM in response to: Oleg Sukhodolsky

I had a similar, maybe the same problem. Everything worked fine, until i started the debugger.

It started to run, but after every request (is a rails application) the UI hung for about 20 seconds. (feels like an hour)

This persisted even after an upgrade to 6.0.2.

What did I do then? I went to ~/./RubyMine60, moved the system directory away and created a new, empty one.

Since this, 6.0.2 runs as it should.

Apr 4, 2012
Feb 11, 2014 8:41 AM in response to: Steffen Kirschke

What version of ruby and ruby-debug-ide are you using?

Regards, Oleg.

Nov 25, 2012
Feb 11, 2014 10:14 AM in response to: Oleg Sukhodolsky

Hi Oleg,

I'm using differenr Ruby Version from 1.8.6 up to current, managed by rvm.

Ruby-debug-ide, at the time of deleting / moving the system directory, what solved my

problem, was a bit outdated.

But, as I said before, since removin it and let rubymine build a new one, everything

worked fine. Same for all in all Ruby versions I use.

Now I also upgraded to 6.0.3, and ruby-debug-ide it current, still everything fine.

Thanks and best regards

Steffen

Message was edited by: Steffen Kirschke

Nov 25, 2012
Feb 11, 2014 7:41 PM in response to: don nielsen

What I meant with moving away is, just renaming it, or putting it to another place, where RubyMine doesn't it expect to be.

Then I created an empty directory with the original name and then restartet RubyMine.

I just didnt want to delete it, to avoid reinstalling RM, in case something goes really bad by deleting the RM Sytem ... Folder, I think, they call it in Redmond,

so i could have moved it back to the original location.

Don't know, where you find this on windows, cause i'm a bit agnostic with it, though it's a great gaming platform.

Don't know, whether this is a solution at all, but since i did this, the new RubyMine is big fun.

Best regards

Steffen

Apr 4, 2012
Mar 19, 2014 8:05 AM in response to: don nielsen

Hi dvn,

we already have several complains about some slowness of debugging with ruby 1.9.3 (and it looks like this is something specific to Windows)

but the main problem for us is that we are unable to peproduce the problem

So, if you can share project which reproduce the problem (I'm ready to sign an NDA if needed) please contact me directly (my email is oleg.sukhodolsky at jetbrains dot com)

Thanks in advance, Oleg.

Apr 4, 2012
Apr 2, 2014 11:59 AM in response to: don nielsen

Hi Everyone who care

we've fixed one nasty performance problem in Hinoki RC (http://confluence.jetbrains.com/display/RUBYDEV/RubyMine+EAP), so please try it and let us know if your problem is still reproducible with it or not.

Regards, Oleg.

Nov 25, 2012
Apr 3, 2014 10:44 AM in response to: Oleg Sukhodolsky

Hi Oleg,

was so happy to hear this and immediately downloaded an tried.

But:

1. Debugging speed is ok, as long as RubyMine doesn't loose the focus. Each time, I put the focus an any other window on screen and wanna go back to RubyMine, It takes about 10 to 20 seconds with 100% CPU until any response from the GUI.

2. Watches don't work. It seems, i see random values there. Lets says, i watch 'i', wich is a Number, sometimes i see the value I expect, sometimes it references something completely different. Maybe any object that has been modified in some way. When I eval the same object, the results most time are as expected, but not always. Still didn't find find any consistent pattern.

Environment:

- debian Linux with a 3.x kernel, gnome

- sun/oracle jre/jdk 7

- ruby environments are managed by rvm

(1.8.x, 1.9.3, 2.x)

- rails envoronments

- one ancient 1.2.6 application

- some 2.3.8 and above

The behaviour is the same with any ruby and rails version, happens also or newly created tiny test projects.

rdebug-ide is up to date, as RubyMine recommended to upgrade, which I did.

ATM, my solution is, to switch back to 5.4.3.2.1, where everything works as it did before. Responsiveness in debugger is good, watches and eval works correct.

Best regards

Steffen

Forgot to say: I've install 8GB if ram, which i hope is enough; At least the sytem tells me, it still has enough free memory and, while waiting for the gui to response again, there is no significant paging activity.

Apr 4, 2012
Apr 3, 2014 11:00 AM in response to: Steffen Kirschke

Hi Steffen,

1. hang on switching back to RubyMine doesn't seem related to debugger.  I'd suggest to make a CPU dump (https://intellij-support.jetbrains.com/entries/29983118-Reporting-performance-problems) and report performance problem in our tracker(http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues/RUBY)

2. I (personally) havn't noticed such problem perhaps do not use watches often enough   Could you please file a ticket in our tracker with description of the problem and how to reproduce it.

Regards, Oleg.

Nov 25, 2012
Apr 3, 2014 1:17 PM in response to: Oleg Sukhodolsky

Hi Oleg,

thanks for the quick response.

@1. I also think, it's not the debugger, that causes the hangs. But, it only happens, when a debugger is running; opened a ticket accordint to your advice, as far as possible....

@2. atm, while testing, the watches do, what i expect them to do. will create a ticket, as soon as i have the problem again.

Best regards

Steffen

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...