Has anyone else experienced the latest Rubymine debugger being painfully slow. Not just slow. It's painful. It is so bad I lose track of where I am at and what I am doing because I'm continually waiting 15/20/30+ seconds for "Data Collecting...". I'm a huge Rubymine fan. But since this V6 upgrade, which coincidentally updated ruby-ide-debug, the process of stepping through my code is simply unworkable. I don't know where to begin explaining this.
Sorry Oleg. No change. I changed the setting, restarted RubyMine, rebooted server. Still no change.
This just seem to come out of nowhere. I think this is the first I had done serious debugging since upgrading to v6.
If there is anything else I can provide you that might help, let me know. I'm not the greatest getting to low level stuff, but I'll try. Just walk me through what you need.
The following is the result of running the debugger until I hit a break point. At that time, I exposed "self" (not myself), and then class variable self.prj. While I don't know what I am looking at, it is making me fear it is my programming style or design that is causing the problems.
============== Debugger verbose output ====================
See next message with attached output files. I couldn't figure out how to delete this long message.
sorry for late responce. The only possible cause of the problem you have I see is that you have several rather big arrays
and we have to evaluate every element of the array to show it to you.
I'd suggest to try to play with it and if this is the cause please file a bug in our tracker (http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues/RUBY)
I'm having the same problem. Just upgraded from 5.4.2 to 6.0.3. Formerly, debugging the exact same file (a plain old ruby file, no rails), was instantanious. Now, it takes 20 seconds to 3 minutes, PER LINE of code! It is unusable. I have been using puts statements to debug because the debuger is literally unusable now. I thought there might have been a conflict with the old project file, so I created a brand new project. Same effect.
Please help. The debugger is the main reason I purchased RubyMine and now I cannot use it.
BTW, the editor is much faster in 6.0.3 and the code completion works now for the first time.
P.S. I also updated ruby-debug-ide as part of the install. And I just ran gem install ruby-debug-ide to make sure it was up-to-date. No effect. Debugging is still unusable.
I had a similar, maybe the same problem. Everything worked fine, until i started the debugger.
It started to run, but after every request (is a rails application) the UI hung for about 20 seconds. (feels like an hour)
This persisted even after an upgrade to 6.0.2.
What did I do then? I went to ~/./RubyMine60, moved the system directory away and created a new, empty one.
Since this, 6.0.2 runs as it should.
I'm using differenr Ruby Version from 1.8.6 up to current, managed by rvm.
Ruby-debug-ide, at the time of deleting / moving the system directory, what solved my
problem, was a bit outdated.
But, as I said before, since removin it and let rubymine build a new one, everything
worked fine. Same for all in all Ruby versions I use.
Now I also upgraded to 6.0.3, and ruby-debug-ide it current, still everything fine.
Thanks and best regards
Message was edited by: Steffen Kirschke
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm not sure I understand completely, as I'm a bit of a Forrest Gump when talking about the system stuff. And I am in the Windows environment, not Linux. (My bad.) Anyhow, when you say you moved the system directory, what does that mean? And did you uninstall the ide and had RubyMine reinstall it?
Again, thanks for the help. I am still having problems with this. It was explained to me that I have some big arrays in my application. But this application has not changed, and the arrays were not a problem in the past. And, unfortunately, my work priorities had shifted so I have not been able to devote the time to this that I would like.
What I meant with moving away is, just renaming it, or putting it to another place, where RubyMine doesn't it expect to be.
Then I created an empty directory with the original name and then restartet RubyMine.
I just didnt want to delete it, to avoid reinstalling RM, in case something goes really bad by deleting the RM Sytem ... Folder, I think, they call it in Redmond,
so i could have moved it back to the original location.
Don't know, where you find this on windows, cause i'm a bit agnostic with it, though it's a great gaming platform.
Don't know, whether this is a solution at all, but since i did this, the new RubyMine is big fun.