This Question is Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
4 Replies Last post: Feb 25, 2014 11:53 AM by Pavel Sher  
PeeKay . Newbie 3 posts since
Feb 22, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 22, 2014 10:39 AM

Need Help - Git VCS is always timing out. (never used to :( )

Hi all,

about a week or so ago, all 7 of our builds now fail because of a github.com timeout error. We've been using TC for about a year now without any problems at all.

Also, we have NOT made any changes, prior to the problem

At first, we started to 'TEST CONNECTION', which always started to return 'SUCCESS'. Then we tried to run a build and ... nope! Timeout error message

Now the test connectoin more or less always timesout.

So, we updated from 8.0.6 to 8.1.a. That worked fine, all 7 builds came across etc. Same thing (but the error message was a bit nicer, now).

Now we're using CHROME on this TC server. So opening up another tab, we goto github.com. Blamo! it pops up asap.

We're -not- using a proxy or anything fancy pants.

We have no idea how to debug this issue. We've rebooted the server. Still the same old problem

Is there -anything- we can do, to fix this? I couldn't find any 'timeout time' value in any of the settings. We're using the stock standard git VCS plugin that comes with TC.

This is really hurting us, cause we do commits all day long and our testing team is now .. well .. bored cause we can't deploy to dev!

yeah - 1st world probs i know .. but this is our last hope, Obi-wan. Someone has to be able to hopefully shed some light on something?

(I've got a weird feeling it MIGHT be a bad error message .. even though this is a GIT issue).

Details; TC v 8.01a

GIT: github.com

Repo: Private repo (soz). Using HTTPS + Username/Password for auth.

Pavel Sher JetBrains 2,336 posts since
Mar 6, 2008
Feb 24, 2014 7:35 PM in response to: PeeKay .
Re: Need Help - Git VCS is always timing out. (never used to :( )

Do you host TeamCity server in Azure?

Steven Kuhn Newbie 1 posts since
Feb 24, 2014
Feb 24, 2014 10:07 PM in response to: Pavel Sher

I am experiencing this sporadic issue as well. The error message is:

Failed for the root 'https://github.com/XXXXXXXX/YYYYYYY.git#master' #33: List remote refs failed: java.net.ConnectException: Connection time out: github.com  

It's been happening for quite some time. I am currently using TeamCity 8.1 and one of  the latest snapshot version of the Git plugin (SNAPSHOT-20140220022711). I have it hosted on an Azure VM (Medium Instance) which is running Windows Server 2012R2. The database is SQL Server 2012 Express installed locally on that server. The 3 build agents we use also run as 3 separate Azure VMs (Small Instances) and also run on Windows Server 2012R2.

It is very frustrating because our builds will sometimes fail with the message "Unable to collect changes." We end up having to rerun the build which then is successful. Attempts to reboot the server or restart the service do not work.

edit:

I do have IIS setup as a reverse proxy in front of TeamCity since I have other websites that are hosted under port 80 and 443. No other proxy is set up. "Test Connection" always works. I haven't tried changing the "Checking interval" for the VCS; it is set at the global default setting of 60 seconds. TeamCity version is 8.1 (build 29879).

Pavel Sher JetBrains 2,336 posts since
Mar 6, 2008
Feb 25, 2014 11:53 AM in response to: PeeKay .

Thank you for update and workaround! Hopefully this will help many other users who experience similar problems.

AFAIK, the problem with connectivity from Azure to github is in discussion for two weeks already. I really hope Microsoft and Github will find a resolution soon.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...