4 Replies Last post: Aug 11, 2014 4:37 PM by Bruno Krebs  
Bruno Krebs Newbie 3 posts since
Mar 30, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 8, 2014 12:23 AM

Resource bundle editor not working

Hi there,

I using the latest version of Intellij with ALL default configuration kept on installation (actually I have removed all versioning systems, but kept git and svn). Today I have tried to open a messages.properties file in order to edit it, but it only shows the text editor, there is no tab to switch to Resource Bundle editor.

editor.png

How to solve it? I have checked on the plugin manager as well but it shows that I have "properties support" installed and it shows nothing useful (that is not installed) for searches like 'budle', 'resources', 'properties' and 'messages'...

Any idea??

Thanks in advance.

Mark Vedder Apprentice 1,013 posts since
Dec 10, 2003
Aug 9, 2014 7:48 PM in response to: Bruno Krebs
Re: Resource bundle editor not working

The resource bundle editor only becomes avaiable if you have more than one locale (or a default properties file and at least one locale) defined. Also, after defining a second locale, you need to close the (original) file and reopen it to see the resource bundle editor. (This latter "issue" is a bit of a bug.)

Mark Vedder Apprentice 1,013 posts since
Dec 10, 2003
Aug 11, 2014 4:30 AM in response to: Bruno Krebs
Re: Resource bundle editor not working

brunoskrebs wrote:

Maybe I have not been clear in my first message, but all I need is a decent properties editor (like the one in eclipse) where I can type "São Paulo" as the value and it transforms to me to somenthing like "S\u00E3 Paulo"...

Yeah , that wasn't clear

If you have the "Transparent native-to-ascii conversion" option turned on in the File Encoding settings, (and ptoperties files encoding set to the Java standard ISO-8859-1), IDEA will show the UTF-8 character ã in the editor, but file itself is encoded using the \u00E3 escape sequence. You can open it in an external plain text editor to verify. For more info, see:

To the best of my knowledge, there is not a quick way to toggle the "Transparent native-to-ascii conversion" on and off in the event you want to quickly see the file with the escape sequences. It'd be a small task though to write a plug-in to do it if you had a need for that.

The value add of the resource bundle editor is being able to see/edit the values for a key from all locales simultaneously. The above transparent conversion is present for all properties files whether or not they are part of a resource bundle.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...