I cannot (or at least cannot work out) how to attach to a running Silverlight (5) instance.
When I choose attach to from the menu I don't see Internet Explorer in the list of items I can attach to. It would be very helpful if I could as I sometimes work on SL applications that cannot be launched locally and "stand alone".
Unfortunately this version of dotTrace can't attach to Silverlight processes.
Maybe "Profile .NET process" mode will help you? In this mode you launch profiling and then start (in any way) the process you want to profile; dotTrace "catches" the .NET processes and profiles them, and then you get a snapshot of the application you're interested in.
Doh! I just realised I posted the original question and I can't delete my reply to hide my stupidity
It's a shame this feature is not supported it would be very useful. Sometimes it's quite difficult to set up an accurate test that can run outside of the main site. My particular use case is that I'm using Silverlight with Microsoft CRM and the CRM system passes context (including authentication) and parameters to the SL application which means I cannot test stand-alone.
Glad to hear it works now We're working on attach to Silverlight, but we just didn't manage to put it in 5.0.
As for "Could not open snapshot" problem, thanks for letting us know. Can I ask you to send us logs?
1. close standalone dotTrace and Visual Studio with integrated dotTrace.
2. go to your Temp folder (you can find its location by executing 'cd %Temp%' in command line).
3. find 'JetLogs' folder and delete it.
4. launch dotTrace, prepare for profiling; in 'Profiler Configuration' dialog, press Ctrl + Shift + Alt + F11.
5. click 'Expert options' button.
6. enable 'Enable logs' checkbox (only this checkbox).
7. click OK and run profiling.
8. perform actions that lead to issue.
9. close dotTrace.
10. send content of %Temp%/JetLogs to me (firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com).
Thanks in advance.